Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day



And now some words from the self-confessed Borstal Boy himself:

"All publicity is good, except an obituary notice."
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem."
"Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they''ve seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves."
"I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman couldn't make it worse."
"I was court-martialled in my absence, and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
"New York is my Lourdes, where I go for spiritual refreshment...a place where you're least likely to be bitten by a wild goat."
"The Bible was a consolation to a fellow alone in the old cell. The lovely thin paper with a bit of mattress stuffing in it, if you could get a match, was as good a smoke as I ever tasted."
"The big difference between sex for money and sex for free is that sex for money usually costs a lot less."
"The most important things to do in the world are to get something to eat, something to drink and somebody to love you."

Brendan Behan
Feb. 9, 1923 Dublin, Ire. March 20, 1964 Dublin

No comments: